In a design aspect, white space is the area of a page with a lack of content in it. Similarly, in marketing, white space is an area with a lack of products in it.
A marketer can find this white space and come up with new opportunities to grow their business in that space. They use this area of untapped potential to uncover new audiences, product improvements, or other business opportunities.
Tips on how to find your white space opportunities:
- Determine how you meet your customers needs
- Look at your customers’ other interests/ needs
- Experiment with targeting other audiences
- Ask your customers what they wish was better about your product
- Take a look at competitor products
White space analysis helps a company find gaps between their customers’ needs and their product. The graphic below, created by SellingBrew, can help you visualize the white space discovered after analyzing your audience and products.