Geo targeting is usually used in digital advertising to provide a more relevant search experience to local customers. It uses a device’s location to determine whether or not they will be shown an advertisement.
Follow these tips to set up effective geo targeted ads:
- Find out where your niche audience is
- Exclude places where your target audience won’t be
- Determine how large your radius will be
- Use location specific keywords
- Take advantage of special events in your geographical area
By using geo targeting, advertisers are able to broadcast their ads to those most likely to act upon them. This can benefit them, and their customers.
For example, when searching for “Italian Restaurants,” Google pulls the ones that are closest to the searcher’s location.
This prevents getting search results for restaurants that you wouldn’t be able to go to because of distance. It also allows local businesses to advertise to those most likely to go there.