Companies write white papers to show readers how they would help solve a common issue. This document is formal, based on original data, and focuses on one, singular problem.
There are 5 types of white papers:
- Business Benefits: Makes a case for the business benefits of using a product
- How-To/ Problem-Solving: Shows how your product can solve an issue
- Product Comparison: Compares your product and its features with your competitors’ products
- Technical: Explains how technology solves a problem
- Thought Leadership: Allows you to position an original concept within your market
No matter what type of white paper you choose to write, all must be based on data and solve some kind of issue for your reader.
To help you see how to correctly format your white paper, CoSchedule has come up with the below graphic.