You can create, preview, schedule, and publish Instagram messages from CoSchedule in two different ways:
- Publish Instagram messages after you receive a push notification on your mobile device (CoSchedule mobile app required)
- Publish Instagram messages directly via our integration partner Buffer
Follow the instructions provided below to successfully connect and publish your Instagram content.
- Connect Instagram to Your Calendar
- How to Setup Direct Publishing to Instagram with Buffer
- Test and Manage Push Notifications
- Create and Schedule an Instagram Social Message
- Publish to Instagram through Push Notifications
- Republish Failed Posts
- Republish Unsent Posts
- Manage Multiple Instagram Accounts
- Instagram Frequently Asked Questions
Connect Instagram to Your Calendar
To begin, go to Calendar Settings > Social Profiles page and click Connect a Social Profile then choose Instagram. Select either a Personal Profile or Business Account.
- For Personal Profiles, you will need to be logged in to the profile at instagram.com before you connect.
- For Business Accounts, you will need to be logged in to the Facebook Profile connected to the account.
- To connect additional Instagram accounts to CoSchedule, we suggest using a private or incognito browser window.
After authorizing your Instagram account to CoSchedule, the next step will be to download the CoSchedule Mobile Application from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Once you have downloaded the mobile app to your phone, log in using your CoSchedule account information. When you have logged into CoSchedule’s mobile app, your CoSchedule calendar will sync with your mobile app and ask you to allow push notifications. Click Allow Push Notifications.
Test and Manage Push Notifications for Instagram
Test Push Notifications
Send yourself a test push notification. Go to Settings > Social Profiles and select the Instagram profile that you want to test. Click Send test notification and if you have notifications enabled you should receive a test notification on your mobile phone.
If you don’t receive the test notification, check if push notifications are enabled on your mobile phone. Open the mobile CoSchedule app and follow the directions below.
Manage Push Notifications
To manage your Push Notifications for the CoSchedule mobile app, click . Then click .
The Ready To Post window will open. Here you will be able to toggle your push notifications on/off for all of your Instagram profiles.
Publish to Instagram through Push Notifications
After you schedule an Instagram social message, you will receive a push notification from your phone when the scheduled time is reached. The message will appear in the Ready To Post section of our mobile app.
Clicking Post Now to Instagram will redirect you to Instagram where you’ll create a new post. The image(s)/video you scheduled will be first up in your library and the text you wrote for the post will be automatically copied to your phone’s clipboard so you’ll just need to paste. Full step by step instructions below:
1. To publish the Instagram message, locate the message in the Ready To Post section of our mobile app and open it. Click Post Now to Instagram then Open in Instagram.
2. Your selected image will be sent to your phone’s image gallery.
3. On Instagram, create a new post and select your image or video. It should show up first in your gallery.
4. Once you have finished editing your post inside Instagram, click Next. The caption window will open. In the caption window, long-press on your screen until the Paste option shows up. Click Paste to add the Instagram post’s text. When you are ready to publish your post to Instagram, click OK then Share.
Republish Failed Posts
Republish any of your sent Instagram posts that may have failed during the process. To do so, locate the Instagram post inside the mobile calendar view. To republish the Instagram post, click on the post. Click Preview then Push to Instagram. Follow the steps in the section above to publish to Instagram through push notifications.
Republish Unsent Posts
On the calendar view, you may see an error like the image below. To republish the unsent Instagram post, follow the steps below.
1. In the CoSchedule mobile app, go to the Ready to Post page.
2. Your unsent post will be greyed out in the list. Click the unsent Instagram post.
3. Follow the steps in the section above to publish to Instagram through push notifications.
Manage Multiple Instagram Accounts
If you’re managing multiple Instagram accounts through CoSchedule, it is important to make sure you are posting to the correct account.
When the notification comes through to your phone, click on the notification. The CoSchedule mobile app will open with the message selected.
In Preview Message, To view which Instagram profile is currently selected, click Post Now To Instagram.
Three prompts will pop up, select Check Instagram Profile to see which Instagram profile is currently selected.
In Instagram, go to your profile page. If you’re logged into multiple accounts you’ll be able to switch between them by tapping the account name at the top of the screen.
Once you have the right account selected, go back to the CoSchedule mobile app and follow the steps in the section above to publish your post.
Instagram Frequently Asked Questions
Can I post an Instagram story?
CoSchedule does not currently directly support Instagram stories. However, once the message has been passed from the CoSchedule app to the Instagram app, you are free to use that message within Instagram however you’d like and create your stories there.
How many Instagram profiles can I connect to my calendar?
You can connect as many Instagram profiles as your CoSchedule plan allows. To add more Social Profiles, go to your Billing page and edit your plan.
Can I upload multiple images (Carousel) to a post?
Yes, if you are publishing multiple images to Instagram, you can add up to 10 images per post.
What types of posts can I schedule?
You can schedule both Image, Multi-image (Carousel), and Video posts to Instagram.
Is there a limit to the number of hashtags allowed?
Captions can contain a maximum of 30 hashtags, the same as when posting on Instagram natively. If you publish an Instagram post with more than 30 hashtags, the text will be stripped from the post.
What is the recommended image size?
You should upload square images that are at least 1080px wide. If the image is not an exact square, you can crop it in the Instagram app before publishing.
How long can my videos be?
Instagram videos need to be at least 3 seconds and can’t be longer than 60 seconds. You can upload longer videos through CoSchedule, but they will have to be cropped once sent to Instagram.
Recommended Video Specifications
- Size: maximum width of 1080 pixels
- Frame Rate: 29.97 frames per second
- Codec: H.264 codec / MP4
- Bitrate: at least 3,500 kbps
- Audio: AAC audio codec at 44.1 kHz mono
What if I don’t get the notification?
The message is still available on your mobile queue. Load the CoSchedule mobile app and you can post from there to the Instagram app. If you want to schedule the Instagram post at a later time, go to the Notifications tab.
Can I turn off notifications?
Yes, you can turn off mobile notification for the CoSchedule mobile app. Swipe from the left side of the screen and you can slide notification off. Keep in mind that you may miss Instagram messages if the notification is turned off.
Do you have any specific feedback for us?
We appreciate any feedback you're willing to share.